- This event has passed.
This January, we’re hosting the first Aid Another, an all-day Pathfinder Society event dedicated to raising funds for a worthy cause. For our first such event, we’ve chosen to raise funds for Mighty Writers, a nonprofit organization that provides writing workshop, mentoring, and tutoring services all over Philadelphia (including right across the street from us). $1 from every registration will go toward our costs, but the remaining $9 (as well as any additional money donated) will go directly to Mighty Writers. See below for more information.
Advance registration is required, but purchasing tickets and registering is easily accomplished through the detailed schedule of upcoming events found here. Players can use any Pathfinder Society character at this event (of appropriate level for their table), or at their option use a pre-generated character. For low-level tables, players can choose to create a new 1st level character using the rules found in the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play.
Mighty Writers’ mission is to teach Philadelphia kids, ages seven to 17, to think and write with clarity so they can achieve success at school, at work and in life. Since opening in 2009, our nonprofit has served thousands of city kids in free, out-of-school writing programs, earning nationwide recognition:
- Citizens Bank Champion in Action, 2011
- Phillies Charities honoree, 2012
- Philadelphia 76ers “Hometown Hero,” 2013
- President Obama’s Committee on the Arts & Humanities honoree: “…your program’s selection as one of the 50 finalists distinguishes [Mighty Writers] as one of the top arts-and-humanities-based programs in the country,” 2014
- Philebrity city blog Philadelphia’s Non-profit of the Year, 2015
With support from 300 trained volunteer tutors and mentors, Mighty Writers learn to write and communicate with clarity and confidence in programs including:
- A daily afterschool writing Academy
- Themed writing workshops (sportswriting, science fiction, comic book writing, job prep, poetry)
- One-to-one mentorships that pair kids and volunteers in weekly writing sessions
- A Wednesday night Teen Scholars program for high school teens
- 24-session SAT prep courses; college/high school essay classes; college tours
- Radio writing, new media & technology classes
At the close of last year’s program, 82% of students who attended Mighty Writers’ afterschool Academy were proficient readers and writers, compared with 20% citywide. At the beginning of the school year, only 33% of students felt “very enthusiastic” about writing; at the end of the school year, 71% of students said they felt “very enthusiastic.”