Commander League: Winter 2022
November 21, 2022 - January 1, 2023$15.00
At long last, Commander league is returning to Redcap’s Corner! This season is six weeks long, running November 21st through January 1st. To participate in the league this season, each player registers up to three decks (if you begin with fewer than three, you may add additional decks throughout the season, up to the maximum), and may only play with those decks when playing league games. The contents of those decks may be modified throughout the season, as long as the commanders remain fixed. All games must consist of exactly four players and must be played on-site at the shop, but they can be played at any time, including (but not limited to) during Monday or Friday Night Commander. No two games in a given week may consist of exactly the same four players. Organizing games through our Discord server is also recommended.
Players earn points whenever they play league games, as detailed below, and must turn in a score-card (available at the counter upstairs) after each such game. Only the first three league games you play each week are counted toward your score for the league (though participation in the Winter League Open can modify that for the first week). Each week will feature four random objectives and two random penalties, which will apply to all league games played that week (on a Monday through Sunday calendar). Objectives and penalties will be posted here at the beginning of each week. At the end of the season, eight players will receive prizes, won based on a number of categories. No player can win more than one prize each season.
Players’ points are determined as follows:
- Participation: Each player earns 1 point for playing their first league game of the week, 2 points for their second, and 3 points for their third.
- Victory: Whenever a game ends with all but one player having lost, the player who didn’t lose the game earns 2 points. (Effects that say “you win the game” don’t inherently cause the other players to lose.)
- Eliminating Opponents: Whenever a spell, ability, or creature controlled by a player causes one of their opponents to lose the game, the controlling player earns 1 point. Whenever a player concedes, the opponent responsible for their concession earns this point. In the case of a disagreement about who is responsible, an impartial Redcap’s Corner staffperson has final say.
- Objectives: Each player can earn points based on one of the week’s four randomly chosen objectives each game.
- Penalties: Each player can lose points based on one of the week’s two randomly chosen penalties each game.
Objectives and Penalties: 11/28/2022 to 12/4/2022
- Objective: Whenever a player gets the city’s blessing in a game, they earn 2 points. The city’s blessing can only be granted by the Ascend spell ability or static ability.
- Objective: Whenever a player activates a planeswalker’s loyalty ability that costs 5 or more loyalty, they earn 1 point.
- Objective: Whenever a spell, ability, or creature controlled by a player causes one of their opponents to draw 3 or more cards in a single instance, that player earns 2 points.
- Objective: Whenever an activated ability of a Commander causes a player to lose the game, the Commander’s owner earns 1 point.
- Penalty: Whenever spells, abilities, or creatures controlled by a single player cause more than one of that player’s opponents to lose the game on the same turn, the controlling player loses 2 points.
- Penalty: Whenever a player takes an extra turn, they lose 1 point.
Objectives and Penalties: 11/21/2022 to 11/27/2022
- Objective: Whenever a player casts their Commander from the Command Zone for the third time in a game, they earn 2 points.
- Objective: Whenever a spell, ability, or creature owned by a player causes one of their opponents to gain 10 or more life in a single instance, that player earns 1 point.
- Objective: Whenever a player melds two cards into a meld pair, they earn 2 points.
- Objective: Whenever Commander Damage causes a player to lose the game, the Commander’s owner earns 1 point.
- Penalty: Whenever a spell, ability, or creature controlled by a player causes one or more of their opponents to lose the game before their fifth turn, the controlling player loses 2 points.
- Penalty: Whenever a player draws more than three cards in a single turn, they lose 1 point.