For this Steamroller, each player should assemble a single 35 point army list, using the Spell Draft special rules (see below). The event uses the Deathclock variant (42 minutes), with deployment on the clock, as well as the Control Point variant to determine final standings. Miniatures need not be painted.
All games of Spell Draft are played using baseline Steamroller 2015 rules, with the following exceptions:
- Each player brings a single 35 pt. army list.
- All games are played using the Outflank scenario.
- All spells listed on a warcaster’s or warlock’s spell card and all animi on warbeasts are considered “erased” for this format. Each player can use only the spells and animi that her or she drafts in this event (see below).
- Before the tournament begins, players are divided into groups of up to eight players. Each player is given a deck of eight cards, each of which lists one spell or animus. When the event organizer announces that it is time to begin drafting, each player takes one card from his or her deck and adds it to his or her spell pool. Once each player has chosen a spell, players simultaneously pass their decks to the player on their left. Each player takes the deck from the player on his or her right and repeats the process until his or her spell pool contains exactly eight cards.
- Spell cards a player drafts become part of his or her warcaster’s or warlock’s spell list for the duration of the tournament.
- Animus cards a player drafts can either become part of his or her warcaster’s or warlock’s spell list or be assigned to a warbeast as an animus. If a player assigns a card as an animus, all warbeasts in his or her army that share the same name gain this animus.
- If an effect would reduce the COST of a spell below 1, it reduces it to 1 instead.
- Cards labeled as spells can be used only as spells; they cannot be assigned as animi.
- Once the players have finished drafting their spell lists and assigning their animi, each player must note on his or her player record sheet the spell resources he or she has and how he or she allocated any animi.
- Pairings for the tournament are drawn from all players in all the drafting groups.
- For Spell Draft replace the text of the Witch Coven of Garghast’s Perfect Conjunction ability with the following: “A Perfect Conjunction is established any time the Egregore is completely within the triangular area between all three Witches and each Witch has LOS to each other Witch. During a Perfect Conjunction, reduce the COST of the first spell each Witch casts during her activation by 1.”